Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Artist Talk by KIANGA FORD


Kianga Ford’s project in Bangalore at 1.Shanthtiroad will be a new set of fictional audio narratives written for and about various locations around the city.

“My stories are made up but typically reflect the people and conditions that I encounter while I am moving through the cities where I'm working. My research process is varied and involves both active listening and aimless wandering as well as historical and sometimes archival research. In Bangalore, I aim to form a group
of young women collaborators who will help me to understand this place and time by extending active listening to their own communities and sharing the narratives that they gather. I am actively soliciting young women between the ages of 12 and 20 (not strict) to participate in this group. But, the project is not by any means limited to young women, so I invite everyone to come by 1.Shanthiroad and have a chat with me, take me for a walk, or show me something you find interesting about Bangalore".

I am also seeking musical collaborators to score the audio walks, so please do drop me a note or drop by if you are interested.” (justanotherkianga@yahoo.com).

My working periods in Bangalore will be: August 15-September-5 and October 7-October-31st. 

This project is supported by the smARTpowerThe Bronx Museum of the Arts, Bronx, NY 10456

smARTpoweran initiative of the Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, administered by The Bronx Museum of the Arts—will send fifteen American artists abroad to work with local artists and young people around the world to create community-based art projects.









No comments: