Friday, October 1, 2010

Beate Engl Residency: In Other Words - Collaborative Show



In other words
Opening: Oct. 3, 2010, 3 pm to 7 pm
Select Book House
71 Brigade Road Cross
Oct. 3 through 5, 2010
11:30am to 6:30pm


Beate Engl: I like to work site-specific and in response to a given situation, what made me really appreciate Navin’s idea of showing audio works at Select II. It became a very inspiring collaboration, each of us using sound in a very different way. In my artistic work audio and text are the basis for sculptural settings. My installation "power tower" is placed in the section of the bookshop with encyclopedias and indian history books. In a playful yet critical approach I reflect the correlation between representation of history and power.

Navin Thomas: To begin with, I would like to say that I was quite excited to have met two other people working with alternative sound and with the idea of engaging in a work at the select book house space, my audio work continues to be about electro acoustic ecology, I will be presenting two works, one called "the golden finch" and another site specific work called "rhyme of the ancient mariner". I hope this show encourages more people to present their work at the select book store, Mr Murthy and Sanjay have been really helpful and encouraging over the years, I would like this space to continue to serve this city for a long time to come...

Budhaditya Chattopadhyay: "Audible absence" is a site-specific acoustic space, created from recordings of speech, breathing and poetry readings of my father who passed away a couple of year's ago. The work intends to juxtapose personal with public, in an attempt to investigate auditory memory and transcendence.

No comments: